Save the dates! The Maryland Planning Commissioners Association (MPCA) will host its 40th annual conference at the beautiful and historic Kent Island Resort from October 24 – 26. The theme of this year’s conference is 40 Years of Change, 40 Years of Opportunity.
To tackle challenging, but promising 21st century issues, the benefits of functioning and thriving citizen planning boards that embrace opportunities are more apparent than ever.
The MPCA is a statewide, nonprofit educational organization of municipal, county, and regional planning commissioners and boards of zoning appeals members. MPCA members work to improve the quality of life for all Marylanders through planning, environmental protection, historic preservation, and growth management.
Building on the Planning Commissioner Training Course and Open Meetings Act training sessions the MPCA holds on the first day of the conference, the MPCA, in partnership with MDP, is requesting conference session proposals by June 9, 2023.
Sessions should focus on the responsibilities of citizen planners, but can include the work of professional planners, other officials and stakeholders, and residents. The conference audience includes planning commissioners, boards of zoning appeals members, historic district commissioners and Maryland county and municipal staffs. The MPCA encourages submissions that creatively address the conference theme.
SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL:
Submissions should identify a presentation team (one or more persons), focus on a topic that expands this year’s theme: 40 Years of Change, 40 Years of Opportunity, includea presentation, and facilitate a session of either
45 mins or 1.5 hours. If you believe your session could qualify for AICP CM credits, please note this so that we can work with you to make it eligible.
Please email your session proposal and the following information to Kristen Humphrey, Local Assistance and Training Planner for the Maryland Department of Planning, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than
5:00 pm on June 9.
Include no more than 200 words and also:
- Topic and session name and how it relates to the 20221 MPCA Conference theme, “40 Years of Change, 40 Years of Opportunity.”Conference subthemes that include climate change and resiliency, aging populations and changing demographics, accessing infrastructure funding, and changes and opportunities for citizen planners may also be considered
- An abstract of the information to be covered
- How the session will inform and elevate knowledge about the subject.
- Suggested speakers (no more than five):
- Include name, title, and contact information (can also be a general category, such as municipal planning commissioner)
- Indicate session leader
- Provide other information as needed
The MPCA Board will evaluate proposals based upon:
- Inclusion of elements a through f above
- Applicability to theme
- Relevance of approach to citizen planning
- Extra consideration will be given to proposals that include at least one citizen planner on the panel
- Bonus: Session’s applicability to Queen Anne’s County or the Eastern Shore
The MPCA anticipates selecting session proposals by July 28.
For reference, please see the session presentations and recordings for last year’s conference.
One thought on “Save the Dates! Maryland Planning Commissioners Association Seeks Session Proposals for its 40th Annual Conference!”
Pingback: 40th Annual MPCA Conference Registration Now Open! | Maryland Planning Blog