The building at 120 W. North Avenue in Baltimore City began as the Eastwick Motor Company, Ford sales and service, in 1914 and later evolved into Lombard Office Furniture. Continue reading
By Jen Sparenberg, Maryland Historical Trust
The Maryland Historical Trust’s Cultural Resources Hazard Mitigation Planning Program is here to assist local governments in integrating important historic places into hazard mitigation plans and planning activities. The program provides technical assistance on a variety of topics related to floodplain management, hazard mitigation planning and actions, disaster response and recovery, and climate change. Continue reading
By Marcia Miller, Chief, Office of Research, Survey and Registration
The Chamber is open! The Old Senate Chamber in the Maryland State House has opened its doors to visitors once again after completing a multi-year, state-of-the-art restoration. The extensive project returned the room as accurately as possible to its 18th-century appearance. Exhaustive physical investigation and meticulous research, combined with fieldwork throughout the City of Annapolis, ensured the authenticity of the richly-ornamented architectural detailing and the furnishings as they would have appeared on December 23, 1783.
The Old Senate Chamber as it would have appeared on December 23, 1783 during the resignation ceremony of General George Washington. The gallery has been recreated based on historic photographs, physical evidence, and documentary records.
View original post 374 more words
By Tyler Anthony Smith
The author graduated from Warren Wilson College with a bachelor’s degree in history and studio art in 2010. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in Historic Preservation from the University of Maryland College Park and working for Dell Corporation as an Assistant Preservation Technician. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you ever noticed two small, 218-year-old, wood-sided houses on South Wolfe Street in Baltimore’s Fell’s Point? The Society for the Preservation of Federal Hill and Fell’s Point owns these buildings, often referred to as the “Two Sisters,” which likely date to 1797 – the same year that the U.S. Frigate Constellation was built in a Fell’s Point ship yard. Originally part of a building with four identical units, the remaining ”Two Sisters” each stand just twelve feet wide and fifteen feet deep, with…
View original post 740 more words
The 2015 Sustainable Communities Tax Credit Awards
Designed to make reinvestment easier and bring new life to threatened historic structures, the Sustainable Communities Tax Credit has played a pivotal role in incentivizing private investment in the restoration of Maryland’s historic resources. By rehabilitating historic properties, the program spurs job growth, improves property values and encourages reinvestment of properties, commercial districts and neighborhoods into places where people want to live and entrepreneurs want to do business. Continue reading