Planning in Progress
Maryland’s Second Statewide Brownfield Conference is being held on Wednesday, November 16 and will provide a forum for local governments, consultants, attorneys, developers, and non-governmental/community organizations to learn and share information about brownfields.
The group will delve into how revitalizing land through brownfield cleanup and redevelopment/reuse can bring improvements in equitable access to recreational spaces in Maryland’s communities and serve as A Walk in the Park for All.
Conference Schedule & Topics
Wednesday November 16
8:15 – 8:45 a.m.
- An opportunity to connect with other attendees before the welcoming remarks Wednesday morning including a mindfulness exercise.
9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
- Welcome remarks from Secretary of Planning, Rob McCord, Secretary of the Environment, Horacio Tablada, and U.S. EPA Region III Environmental Education Coordinator and Environmental Justice Liaison, Stephanie Branche.
9:30 – 10:00 a.m.
- Keynote speech by Jerome Shabazz of the Overlook Environmental Education Center
10:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- Session 1: Post-assessment funding resources – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will address post-assessment funding opportunities and how those can be leveraged for recreational reuse projects.
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Session 2: Brownfields to greenfields and ballfields – An environmental consultant, a community organization representative, and local government staff will present case studies from Maryland communities about brownfields with recreational reuse including Sparrows Point Park in Baltimore County, Gold Street Park in Baltimore City, and Lake Street Park in Salisbury.
12:45 – 1:45 p.m.
- Session 3: How environmental justice and equity can grow green community refuges – Experts will examine how environmental justice can result in recreational spaces that benefit communities and restore environmental well being.
Wednesday November 16, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Brownfield tour and social gathering/networking event – Join us for an exciting tour of a redeveloped brownfield site and an opportunity for in-person engagement: Cross Street Partners invites you to tour The Packing House, the repurposed historic Phillips Packing Company, Factory F in Cambridge. Networking happy hour to follow at RaR Brewing, Cambridge.
Thursday, November 17, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Brownfield tour and social gathering/networking event – Join us for a second exciting opportunity to tour a redeveloped brownfield site and for in-person engagement: Footer Building Development LLC invites you to tour The Footer Building, the repurposed historic Footers Dye Works building in Cumberland. Networking lunch to follow at The Crabby Pig, Cumberland. (Note: in the dropdown for “Date,” select “Thu Nov 17, 2022”)