Planning Assistance in Action
by Sylvia Moser, AICP, Resource conservation Planner and Kristen E. Humphrey, Local Assistance and Training Planner
The Maryland Department of Planning (Planning) would like to extend its sincerest thanks to the many participants, presenters, brownfields site tour leaders, and advisory committee members who made our 2022 brownfields conference a terrific success!
The virtual conference, entitled Brownfields: A Walk in the Park for All, held on November 16, also offered opportunities for in-person site tours—one at The Packing House in Cambridge, and a second at The Footer Building in Cumberland, with networking opportunities after the tours.
Recordings of the sessions can be found here:
We wish to thank all the following individuals and their organizations and businesses for their participation and leadership in this important, growing field of smart land use, development, and creative reuse:
Advisory Committee Members
- Barbara H. Brown, Voluntary Cleanup Program Section Head, Land and Materials Administration, Maryland Department of the Environment
- Siera Wigfield, Senior Planner, Garrett County
- Don Mulrine, Former Town Administrator, Town of Denton
- Greg Goodwin, Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, Department of Community Planning and Services
- Carrie M. Staton, MPA, Director, West Virginia University Technical Assistance to Brownfield Communities
- Katie See, Brownfields Redevelopment Specialist, West Virginia University Technical Assistance to Brownfield Communities
- Lena Adams Kim, Ph.D., Senior Communications Strategist, US EPA
- Robert S. McCord, Esq., Former Maryland Secretary of Planning
- Horacio Tablada, Maryland’s Secretary of the Environment
- Stephanie Branche, Region 3 Environmental Education Coordinator and Environmental Justice Liaison, US EPA
- Jerome Shabazz, Founder and Executive Director, Overbrook Environmental Education Center and JASTECH Development Services, Inc.
- Patricia “Tish” M. Corbett, Maryland State Lead and Brownfields Branch Team Leader in Region 3, US EPA
- Andrew Mengel, Stewardship and Planning Administrator, Land Acquisition and Planning Unit, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Eric Magdar, Vice President for Environmental Services and Senior Geologist, ARM Group LLC
- John Dre Jennings, Executive Director, Druid Heights Community Development Corporation
- Richard Baldwin, Director, Department of Infrastructure & Development, City of Salisbury
- John Valinch and Jalisa Gilmore, Managers of Equity and Resilience Programs, Groundwork USA
- Devon Dodson, Assistant Secretary, Maryland Department of the Environment
- Aisha Dorn, President and CEO, Lifeline Environmental, LLC
- Jodie Hardesty, MERGE/Community Manager—Cambridge, Cross St. Partners; & Patricia “Pat” Escher, AICP, Planning & Zoning Division Manager, City of Cambridge
- Michael Joy, Managing Partner, Joy Development
To learn more about Planning’s Brownfield Redevelopment and Assistance Program, please visit our webpage, contact Sylvia Mosser, AICP, Resource Conservation Planner at email@example.com or (410) 767-4487, and be sure to follow Planning Practice Monthly for announcements and updates.